Missouri Compromise of 1820

Missouri Compromise of 1820
A map showing the division of states during the Missouri Compromise --Brandy Leek

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Modernized Missouri Compromise

I think that the Missouri Compromise would relate to modern times because today states are undecided about gay marriage, whether to make it legal or not. Some states have chosen to allow it to be legal for same sex marriages. Others have chosen to not pass a law to allow same sex marriages. I feel like this is somewhat like the compromise because some states were torn between slavery and being a free state. If I were around during the time of the Compromise I would have rather lived in a free state, given I had a choice. Similarly, today I think it is unreasonable to not allow same sex marriages. I am totally for doing what you believe in, how you were brought up, or how you feel. Much like that people of the Missouri Compromise some agreed with freeing slaves and others didn't. 


This is a map of gay marriage in the United States. The country is torn. Just like in the 1800's, let the people be free and do as they please!!!

-Frankie

1 comment: